Chapters Appendices
 
 1 
 2 
 3 
 4 
 5 
 6 
 7 
 8 
 9 
10 
11 
12 
13 
14 
15 
16 
17 
18 
19 
1 
2 
3 
4 
5 
Larger
font
  Smaller
font
 

APPENDIX 4
PROPERTIES
Shops, Manses and Deeds

The following are details of where some of the ministers and deaconesses lived while in Nottingham. In most cases the information is taken from the Electoral Rolls so the years quoted refer to the people living in the house or flat on 10 October (being the date of registration). Therefore, children under voting age will not be included. There were no Electoral Rolls during the war years 1939 to 1944 inclusive, so people like Roland Wilson were probably at 6 Elmdale Gardens earlier than 10 October 1945. Surnames are underlined.

Superintendent Minister's Manse at 17 Park Valley, Nottingham.
[The records before 1931 are taken from Kelly's and Wright's Directories, there being no electoral rolls in these years]

Year

Residents

1922

Goldhawk, Rev. Ira Geo. (Wesleyan).

1925

Goldhawk, Rev. Ira Geo. (Wesleyan).

1928

Fiddick Rev Harold G (Wesleyan).

1931 (Electoral roll)

Fiddick, Harold George and Marion and Everson, Rose Kathleen.

1932 (Kelly's)

Gregory, Rev. Osborne (Wesleyan).


Superintendent Minister's Manse at 27 Oundle Drive, Wollaton, Nottingham.
 

Year

Residents

1934

No no. 27

1935

Gregory, Osborn and Gertrude.

1936

Gregory, Osborn, Gertrude, Betty and Joan, and Wilson, Elsie.

1937

Gregory, Osborn, Gertrude, Jack, Betty and Joan and Wilson, Elsie.

1938

Gregory, Osborn, Gertrude, Benjamin Walter and Elizabeth Nickson and

Wilson, Elsie.

1939

Gregory, Benjamin Walter and Elizabeth Nickson and Wilson, Elsie.

1940 to 1944 incl.

no records (War)

1945

Copplestone, Frank F and Frances J.

1946 and 1947

Copplestone, Frank F, Frances J and Frederick T.

1948 and 1949

Copplestone, Frank F, Frances J, Frederick T and Frank H.

1950, 1951 and 1952

Waights, Kenneth L and Dorothy M and Pearson, Mary V.

1953

Waights, Kenneth L and Dorothy M, Pearson, Mary V,
    
Bailie, Jean I [refer also to 14 Arleston Drive] and Mitchell, Diana J.

1954 to 1957 incl.

Waights, Kenneth L and Dorothy M and Reek, May.

1958 and 1959

Pope, John R and Doreen M.

1960 to 1966 incl.

Sails, George W and Mary.

1967 to 1971 incl.

Jackson, John, Florence L and Helen.

1972 to 1979 incl.

Horner, John P and Elaine.

1980

Horner, John P, Elaine and Richard.

1981 to 1983 incl.

Gibbon, Joseph A, Kathleen, John and Paula J.


Superintendent Minister's Manse at 14 Eskdale Drive, Aspley, Nottingham
Manse

Year

Residents

1987

Gibbon, Joseph A and Kathleen

1988

Gibbon, Joseph A, Kathleen and Paula J.

1989

McCluskey, Patrick A, Rosemary F, Mark P, Laura S and Lesley A.

1990

McCluskey, Patrick A, Rosemary F, Laura S and Lesley A.

1991

McCluskey, Patrick A, Rosemary F, Laura S, Lesley A and Mark P.

1992

McCluskey, Patrick A, Rosemary F and Laura S.

1993 to 1996 incl.

McCluskey, Patrick A and Rosemary F.

1997

Willis, Peter and Christine M.


Aspley Hall Manse at 6 Elmdale Gardens, Aspley, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1940 to 1944 incl.

no records (War)

1945

Wilson, Roland and Doris.

1946

Cooper, Norman P and Mary E.

1947 & 1948

Cooper, P and Winifred M.

1949, 1950 & 1951

Aspey, Albert and Cora D.

1952, 1953 & 1954

Palmer-Barnes, Reginald H & Margarette W.



Bridgeway Hall Manse at 18 Exeter Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham

Year

Residents

1973 to 1975 incl.

de St. Croix, John and Joan and Gallaher, Archibald.

1976 and 1977

Smith, Fraser D and Kathryn E.

In a note attached to the Nottingham Mission (Albert Hall) Circuit (N.22/6) Summary of Methodist Property for the year ended 31 August 1978 it stated that: As reported in a note on the Return for 1977 in respect of the manse at 18 Exeter Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham, on 31st August 1977, there was a capital debt on the house of £875.00 being the balance of a loan of £3,000.00 granted by the Division of Property to the Albert Hall Trustees to enable them to purchase the house which was to be rented, as a minister's house to the Circuit. This was part of an arrangement made with the Home Mission Department and the Chapel Department to enable Bridgeway Hall to be transferred from Nottingham South Circuit to the Nottingham Mission (Albert Hall) Circuit. When this property became a Circuit Property under the terms of the Methodist Church Act 1976, the Circuit took over the responsibility for the capital debt. In 1977, in order to have a minister's house situated better strategically for the Bridgeway Hall minister, the house was sold and a replacement purchased at 10 Pyatt Street, The Meadows, Nottingham. On 14th October 1977, the balance of the loan was paid off through the Circuit Solicitor, Mr. J.D. Miles, as part of the procedure for the settling accounts in connection with the sale and purchase.


Bridgeway Hall Manse at 10 Pyatt Street, Meadows, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1979 to 1982 incl.

Smith, Fraser D and Kathryn E.

1983 to 1985 incl

Groves, Martin L and Julia.

1986, no information

?

1987 to 1993 incl.

Barker, Andrew J M and Claire E.

1994

Barker, Andrew J M, Claire E and Duncan J.

1995

Kirkpatrick, Harold B and Brenda E.


King's Hall Manse at 272 Derby Road, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1925 to 1928

Smith, George Samuel.

1928 to 1931

Smith, Bernard Hughes and Dorothy Lucy.

1932 (Kelly's)

Kidd, Thomas Albert.

1933

Kidd, Thomas Albert and Doris Decima Violet and Blythe, Beatrice.

1934 and 1935

Kidd, Thomas Albert and Doris Decima Violet.

1936 and 1937

Pomeril, Philip and Isabella and Fitchett, Dorothy.

1938 and 1939

Pomeril, Philip and Isabella

1940 to 1944 incl. no records (War)


King's Hall Manse at 30 (later renumbered 34 in 1961)
Daisy Road, Thorneywood, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1957 to 1959 incl.

Franklin, Bernard George and Muriel Louise.


King's Hall Manse at 11 Dean Road, Arnold, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1960

Franklin, Bernard G and Muriel L.

1961 to 1965 incl.

Walkland, Bernard G and Jeanette V.

1966 to 1971 incl.

Kendrick, Derek and Eileen.

1972

Kendrick, Derek and Helen J.

1973

Kendrick, Derek.

1974 to 1976 incl.

Stacy-Marks, John A.


King's Hall Manse at 6 Richmond Drive, St. Ann's, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1977

Stacy-Marks, John A and Harduyck, Ivan K.

1978 and 1979

Stacy-Marks, John A, Harduyck, Ivan K and Bradder, David M.

1980

Stacy-Marks, John A and Bradder, David M.

1981

Cassidy, Michael E and Lynda A.

1982 and 1988

Evans, David G and Rebecca E.

1989 to 1991 incl.

Williams, Stephen E and Myra J.

1992 to 1995incl.

Naylor, Ian S and Judith A.


Parliament Street Church Manse at 1 Greenside Walk, Dales Estate, Carlton, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1975 to 1979 incl.

Rogan, John and Florence M and Moss, Gladys E.

1980 to 1988 incl.

Michael, Frank V and Margaret H.


Retirement Home House at 7 Gill Street, Nottingham.
Year

Residents

1937 and 1938

James, Thomas and Alice, Paling, Lewis and Emily, Harrington, Thomas and Gerald, Emily.

1939

James, Thomas and Alice, Cayler, John, Smeeton, Albert, Hardy, Annie, Whitehead, Clara and Thirza and Kelly, Nellie.

1940 to 1944 incl.

no records (War).

1945

James, Alicia Lucretia, Caylor, Charles and Lythgoe, William E.

1946

James, Alicia Lucretia, Caylor, Charles, Ball, Sidney H, Barber, Sarah J, Thorpe, Sarah and Winfield, Betsy E.

1947 to 1953 incl.

Barber, Sarah J, Thorpe, Sarah, Winfield, Betsy E., Asher, Florence W, Barnett, Eliza and Smith, Annie E.

1954

Winfield, Betsy E, Asher, Florence W, Barnett, Eliza, Hardacre, Gertrude and Smith, Annie E.

1955

Winfield, Betsy E, Asher, Florence W, Barnett, Eliza, Hardacre, Gertrude and Heslop, Margaret.

1956

Winfield, Betsy E, Asher, Florence W, Barnett, Eliza, Hardacre, Gertrude and Smith, Annie E.

1957 to 1959 incl.

Winfield, Betsy E, Asher, Florence W, Barnett, Eliza, Hardacre, Gertrude, Taylor, Florence and Heslop, Margaret.

1960

Winfield, Betsy E, Asher, Florence W, Barnett, Eliza, Flint, Mary, Hardacre, Gertrude and Taylor, Florence.

1961

Winfield, Betsy E, Asher, Florence W, Flint, Mary and Hardacre, Gertrude.

1962 and 1963

Winfield, Betsy E, Asher, Florence W, Flint, Mary, Hardacre, Gertrude and Pearson, Ada.

1964

Winfield, Betsy E, Asher, Florence W, Flint, Mary, Hardacre, Gertrude, Pearson, Clarice A and Davies, Dorothy M.

1965 to 1967 incl.

Asher, Florence W, Flint, Mary, Hardacre, Gertrude, Pearson, Clarice A and Davies, Dorothy M.

1968

Asher, Florence W, Flint, Mary, Hardacre, Gertrude, Pearson, Clarice A and Scott, Sarah H.

1969

Flint, Mary, Hardacre, Gertrude, Hiner, Doreen M and Pearson, Clarice A.

1970 and 1971

Flint, Mary, Hiner, Doreen M, Pearson, Clarice A and Scott, Sarah H.


Deaconesses' flat at 14 Arleston Drive, Wollaton, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1953 (Kelly's)

Bailey, Miss Jean

1954 to 1956 incl.

Baillie, Jean I, Stanworth, Margaret M and Pratley, Pamela T.

1957

Stanworth, Margaret M, Pratley, Pamela T and Fowler, Irene N.

1958 and 1959

Stanworth, Margaret M, Fowler, Irene N and Howard, Dorothy M.

1960

Fowler, Irene N, Howard, Dorothy M and Smith, Ethel M.

1961 and 1962

Fowler, Irene N, Smith, Ethel M and Morton, Joan I.

1963 and 1964

Fowler, Irene N and Barlow, Joan.

1965 to 1967 incl.

Thorne, Phyllis J and Flute, Josephine M.

1968

Thorne, Phyllis J and Vickers, Annette.

1969

Bishop, Edna P and Vickers, Annette.

1970 and 1971

Stockley, Joan M.

1972

Watson, Edith M.


Deaconess's flat at 39 Digby Court, Park Street, Nottingham

Year

Residents

1973 to 1976 incl.

Watson, Edith M.

1977 to 1981 incl.

Dunnington, Wendy.

1982 to 1985 incl.

Cowton, Jean A.

1986 to 1988 incl.

Morgan, Graham R and Emma.


Bestwood Hall Deaconess's flat at 30 Bembridge Drive, Bulwell, Nottingham.

Year

Residents

1964 and 1965

Smith, Ethel M.


131 Morley Avenue, Mapperley, Nottingham.
[This was put up for sale 11/10/1972; auctioned 10/1/1973; completion 7/3/1973.]

Year [as at 10 Oct.] Residents

1959

Davies, Beatrice and Dale, Annie C.

1960 to 1964 incl.

Buxton, Albert B. and Annie.

1965 to 1971 incl.

Buxton, Albert B.


Manse, 18 Rolleston Drive, off Derby Road, Lenton, Nottingham.

The land on which the Albert Hall, Institute, and shops were built passed through many hands from the time it was open fields (before enclosure) to the 1990s when it was owned once again by the Corporation of Nottingham. The following is a very brief summary of some of the deeds (with photographs of the deed plans) involved.


Enclosure Act award of allotment 42
(1) The Abstract of the Title (1907) of the Corporation of Nottingham relating to a piece of land near the Derby Road, Nottingham, which was subject to a lease rested in Mr. John Parr Ford, declared that by an Award dated 4/7/1846 (under an Act of Parliament "for inclosing allotting and improving certain open fields in the Parish of saint Mary in the Town and County of the Town of Nottingham") plot No. 42 containing 6,396 square yards was allotted to the "Trustees appointed by the Freemen of Nottingham". Subsequently, all land held by these Trustees vested in "the Committee" (the Freemen's Committee) (Sec. 31, Nottingham Freemen's Allotment Act 1850), then in "Corporation of Nottingham" (Nottingham Corporation Act 1882). Under Sec. 32 of the Nottingham Freemen's Allotment Act 1850. the Committee was lawfully allowed to lease such lands for terms of ninety-nine years which the Corporation duly did with all its land under a conveyance dated 15/12/1882.



Plan: Temperance Hall Restaurant etc.
18/3/1875
(2) Abstract of title: by an Indenture dated 18 March 1875 the Nottingham Temperance Hall Company Limited sold to John Parr Ford the freehold of land and buildings in Great Hall Street as shaded in the plan.



Plan of Great Hall Street (135 square yards)
1882
(3) Lease of 135 square yards of land on the corner of Derby Road and Great Hall Street by The Albert Hall Company Limited to Mr. Thomas Wright dated 29 September 1882, as edged pink on the plan.



Plan of land at the rear of the old Three Horse Shoes
(4) Dated 2/11/1907, Mr John Parr Ford (one part) to Mr Abraham Pyatt and others (George Hallam, Arthur William Black, and Joseph Derbyshire Marsden) (the Purchasers, of the other part), Conveyance (55 square yards in fee simple) and Assignment (645 square yards for balance of 99 year lease) of land on Great Hall Street. Plan of land at the rear of "The Old Three Horse Shoes", Derby Road, Nottingham. Plan drawn by Mr. A.E. Lambert (Architect).



Plan of Albert Hall (Mayor of Nottingham)
2/11/1907
(5) Conveyance of a piece of land (645 square yards and Private Road) (coloured red in the plan above) in Great Hall Street (part of the Freemen's Estate) dated 2 November 1907, from the Mayor etc (The Corporation of Nottingham) to John Parr Ford and Abraham Pyatt (Trustees of the Albert Hall).




Plan, conveyance of stable: Mr J P Ford
23/11/1908
(6) By a conveyance dated 23/11/1908 John Parr Ford sold the freehold to Arthur William Black, George Hallam and Joseph Derbyshire Marsden for £700 of a piece of land (outlined in blue on the plan) on the southeast side of Great Hall Street with the building thereon used as stables (2 stables and a coach house).



Plan surrender of leasehold
3 March 1909
(7) By a surrender of the leasehold dated 3 March 1909 the lessees (A.W. Black & others, as beneficial owners) convey and surrender to the lessor (Rt Rev Bishop A.H. Baynes, Vicar of St Mary) all the land coloured red, blue and yellow shown on the above plan, which was subject to a 99-year lease.

  1. What is coloured red had been subject to the "First Principal Indenture" (Lease dated 21/10/1861 between Vicar of St Mary and John Shaw: 1,796 square yards on the south side of Derby Road, for 99 years from 29/91860).
  2. What is coloured blue had been subject to the Lease dated 21/1/1879 between Isaac Jenks (1st part), The Nottingham Albert Hall Co Ltd (2nd part), Henry Farmer and William Heap Walker (3rd part) and Alfred Claude Taylor (4th part): assigned to Alfred Claude Taylor for the remainder of the 99-year lease.
  3. The Albert Hall, shops and buildings have since been built on the land mentioned in 1and 2 above and what is coloured pink [previously "red"] and blue.
  4. By a Lease dated 1/3/1901 between William Wright (1st part), The Nottingham Albert Hall Co Ltd and Thomas Gallard Mellors and John George Hickling (2nd part), and the Lessees (see above) and Robert Davis , Abraham Pyatt and Frederick Pearson the Elder (3rd part): what is coloured pink is vested absolutely in the Lessees for the residue of the 99-year lease, subject to a number oif underleases quoted in the schedule.
  5. Under a Lease dated 24/5/1854, between the Freemen of Nottingham and George Martin for 99 years from 29/9/1852, the Lessor possess 89 square yards coloured yellow ("Second Principal Indenture"). Under this agreement this piece of land of 89 square yards vested absolutely in the Lessees.



Plan of Derby Road shops, Albert Hall,
Circus Street Hall and
St Thomas' Church 1/5/1909
(8) Assignment of the Albert Hall and other premises, and Conveyance of premises in Great Hall Street upon trusts, dated 1 May 1909: Arthur W. Black M.P. and Joseph D. Marsden (first part) (as Trustees) assigned the lease for the remainder of 999 years' term, to the Trustees (the third part) of the Albert Hall, Institute Buildings, Private Road, and Shops, as coloured on the plan. [Not to scale].


Plan (drawn 20/12/1966) of car park
18/12/1974

(9) Agreement for tenancy, dated 18 December 1974 between Nottingham City Council and the Trustees of the Albert Hall Methodist Mission, of 156 square yards triangle of land (car park) on Great Hall Street with frontage to Maid Marian Way on the north-east side of the Albert Hall Institute as coloured pink and edged red on the plan. [Not to scale.]


Plan of Albert Hall 28/1/1988

Plan with Baptist Chapel [missing]

 


To search the whole of Eric's website including this book, enter your search words here.
 
Click on any image to see the original larger version.

 
Fore-
word
Intro-
duction
Chapters Epi-
logue
Appendices Acknow-
ledgements
  Appendix 5
1 
2 
3 
4 
5 
6 
7 
8 
9 
10 
11 
12 
13 
14 
15 
16 
17 
18 
19 
1 
2 
3 
4 
5 

Last amended 23-Feb-2012 14:28 Copyright © Ian Grant - Web implementation by Eric Foxley Visits Appendix 4