Family tree of methodism (click for a larger image)
|Albert Hall Class Membership Returns|
|Date of meeting||Numbers|
|24/1/1967 (note 1)||682|
|14/3/1967 (note 1)||680|
|9/6/1967 (note 1)||677|
|11/9/1967 (note 1)||672|
|6/12/1967 (note 1)||671|
|28/2/1968 (note 1)||680|
|28/5/1968 (note 1)||677|
|6/9/1968 (note 1)||679|
|25/11/1968 (note 1)||676|
|9/3/1969 (note 2)||666|
|4/6/1969 (note 2)||655|
|4/9/1969 (note 2)||647|
|3/12/1969 (note 2)||643|
|27/2/1970 (note 2)||638|
|18/6/1970 (note 2)||625|
|3/9/1970 (note 2)||625|
|2/12/1970 (note 2)||625|
|3/3/1971 (note 2)||620|
|7/6/1971 (note 2)||609|
|13/9/1971 (note 2)||600|
|18/12/1971 (note 2)||600|
|2/3/1972 (note 2)||604|
|31/5/1972 (note 2)||608|
|4/9/1972 (note 2)||613|
|29/11/1972 (note 2)||617|
|28/2/1973 (note 2)||620|
|4/6/1973 (note 2)||622|
|5/9/1973 (note 2)||625|
|23/11/1973 (note 2)||618|
|27/4/1974 (note 2)||621|
|2/10/1974 (notes 2 and 3)||621|
|14/1/1975 (notes 2 and 3)||625|
|12/2/1975 (Nov. '74 (notes 2 and 3))||625|
|3/10/1975 (notes 2 and 3)||619|
|13/2/1976 (notes 2 and 3)||no report|
|15/10/1976 (notes 2 and 3)||no report|
|25/1/1977 (notes 2 and 4)||604|
|16/2/1977 (notes 2 and 3)||no report|
|25/5/1977 (notes 2 and 3)||no report|
|19/10/1977 (notes 2 and 3)||no report|
|24/1/1978 (notes 2 and 5)||603|
|7/2/1979 (notes 2 and 6)||517|
|21/3/1979 (notes 2 and 7)||511|
Note 1: Report taken from "Leaders' Meeting Minute Book" September 1958 to January 1969.
Note 2: Report taken from "Leaders' Meeting Minute Book" March 1969 to October 1979.
Note 3: The Leaders' Meeting was replaced by the Church Council.
Note 4: Annual Church Meeting: "Reported that there are many people attached to Fellowship Classes who are not members of the Church. These people were urged to become members".
Note 5: Annual Church Meeting
Note 6: "At 31 October 1978 - 555, now 517."
Note 7: Annual Church Meeting. "Names had been removed from the register."
|Mission Statistics 1970|
|Branch||Number of Members||Sunday Congregations|
Staff: three ordained ministers, one full-time deaconess and one part-time deaconess.
The MNC [Methodist New Connexion] circuit plan of 1799 included eighteen preaching places which ranged from Leicester in the south, Mansfield in the north, and Castle Donington and Shepshed in the west. Gradually, those places further away broke off to form their own circuits or become parts of others, so that in 1827 Parliament Street circuit included the chapels at Hyson Green, Bobbers Mill, Arnold, Old Basford, Bulwell, Stapleford, Beeston, and Hucknall.
Mapperley Chapel on Woodborough Road became the head of the Nottingham East Circuit. The circuit comprised Carlton (Gedling Road), Carlton (Main Street), Burton Joyce (Main Street), Lowdham, St. John's (Standhill Road), Netherfield (Victoria Road), Phoenix Farm (Wollaton Avenue, Gedling), Thurgarton, and Epperstone (Chapel Lane).
Minutes of a meeting of the District Committee held at Nottingham 20 and 21 May 1807 recorded that the circuits within the Nottingham District in 1807 were Nottingham, Newark, Leicester, Grantham, Ashby, Burton and Loughborough.
The Plan of the Nottingham Circuit [presumably of the Wesleyan Methodist Church] 19 August to 11 November 1883 comprised the following churches: Beeston, Bestwood Road (Hucknall), Bobber's Mill, Campbell Street (Robin Hood Street), Chilwell, Hill Top, Hucknall, Hyson Green, Ilkeston, Long Eaton, New Radford, Papplewick, Parliament Street, Stapleford, Wesley, Woodborough and Woodborough Road. Some of these churches shortly split away from the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
The Circuit Plans for the Methodist New Connexion, Nottingham Circuit, for May, June and July 1890 consisted of Parliament Street (Head of the circuit), Arnold, Bobber's Mill, Campbell Street, Hyson Green, New Radford, Redcliffe Road and Rose Street.
Subsequently, Bobber's Mill, Arnold (Front Street) and Arnold (Ebeneezer) [1931-1966]) and Redcliffe Road [1869-1966] were in the Methodist New Connection, Nottingham Central Circuit. Campbell Street, Parliament Street (Head of the circuit) and Woodborough Road went into the Methodist New Connexion, Nottingham East Circuit.
Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1900 recorded the Methodist New Connexion, Parliament Street Circuit, as consisting of four churches: Campbell Street (Robin Hood Street), New Radford (Independent st.), Parliament Street (Head of the circuit) and Sycamore Road. The Circuit Plan for May, June and July 1933 for the Methodist New Connexion, Parliament Street Circuit, recorded the same churches but with slightly different names: Campbell Street, Independent Street, Parliament Street (Head of the circuit) and Sycamore Road. The Quarterly Schedule of the United Methodist Church for the December 1934 Quarterly Meeting recorded Parliament Street as having one hundred and eleven members.
"Wesley Chapel" on Broad Street, Nottingham, was built in 1838-1839 (the opening service was on 20 June 1839) as an alternative to enlarging Hockley Chapel. It was the place where, during the visit of Rev. James Caughey in 1844, the founder of the Salvation Army, William Booth, was converted. The members were transferred to Parliament Street Church in 1954 as the result of the combined effects of declining members and rising costs of maintenance.
Parliament Street Chapel continued as head of the circuit until 1983. At that time Parliament Street amalgamated with the Albert Hall Central Methodist Mission
The following are details of the Membership of the Methodist New Connexion, Nottingham East Circuit.
|Date||Parliament Street||Campbell Street||Independent Street||Sycamore Road||Total|
[Circuit meeting at the Albert Hall on Wednesday 5th December 1984.]
Matters arising (c) Albert Hall/ Parliament Street: A single Church Council covering the use of two sets of buildings had now been approved and was in the course of being constituted, following the necessary consultation with both Church Councils and Societies. It had also been agreed by the societies that, commencing in January 1985, combined morning and evening services would be held in Parliament Street and combined evening services in the Albert Hall. On the recommendation of the Chairman, the Circuit Meeting unanimously approved the following: (i) the closing of the Albert Hall for morning services and Parliament Street for evening services with effect from 6th January 1985.
Arkwright Street Methodist Church was in Nottingham South Circuit (e.g. in 1878 to 1901).
Nottingham Central Circuit was formed in 1933 following the reunion of the Wesleyan, Primitive, and United Methodist churches a year earlier. The new circuit included parts of the former Wesley and Tennyson Street (Wesleyan) circuits, part of the second and third Primitive circuits and the whole of the Redcliffe Road and Shakespeare Street (United) circuits.
|ANNUAL RETURNS OF MEMBERS AND COMMUNITY ROLL|
|Date of meeting||Period of count||Membership||Community Roll|
|Circuit||Albert Hall||Bridge-way Hall||King's Hall||Parlia-ment Street||Albert Hall||Bridge-way Hall||King's Hall|
|6/12/1983||Oct. 1983||552 (*1)||342||91||119|||
|Central Mission||Total Comm-unity roll||Central Mission|
|Not recorded||Oct. 1988|
|10/12/1990||Oct. 1990||429 (*2)||253||86||90||634|
|Not recorded||Oct. 1995|
(*1) Excludes Parliament Street
(*2) "Connexional average is two hundred and forty per minister and one of the reasons that we retain three ministers is that it is regarded as of utmost importance to maintain a minister at King's - the only priority appointment in the District [Nottingham and Derby District]. Bridgeway is considered as next in importance, Central Mission third." [Circuit meeting at Bridgeway Hall on Monday 10th December 1990.]
(*3) "The Chairman informed the meeting that the net proceeds from the sale of the premises was approximately £63,000 and that this amount was now held at Manchester and would only be available to us if we wanted to undertake a capital scheme in the St. Ann's area. The members of King's Hall society, remaining in the circuit, had either joined Central or Bridgeway and were meeting monthly at Central as the King's Hall Fellowship." [Circuit meeting at the Central Mission on Wednesday 15th June 1994.]
|Last amended 23-Feb-2012 14:28||Copyright © Ian Grant - Web implementation by Eric Foxley||Visits Appendix 3|